Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Animal Kingdom, Part 1(?)

***a friendly reminder that I super appreciate comments***

Just a few of the animals I've seen since I've been 'round the Jervis Bay area. Of course, I have seen some kangaroos but mostly I have not had my camera at the ready but the few pics I did take did not take well. It's the camera's fault, I assure you.

A wallaby which, from my extremely limited experience, look to be about 2/3 the size of a kangaroo. The tail creeps me out. This little guy seemed pretty tame as he rummaged along the beach munching on left overs.
An echidna. I realize the picture is a little out of focus but I was in a hurry to get this before he waddled off. This is likely an adolescent based on size, said my companions for the day.
A kookaburra. Kinda reminded me of a small vulture/bald eagle mix.
Then it was parrot time. I sat in a beachside park for about an hour and there were tons of signs not to feed the wildlife but I think these parrots had seen the rules broken a time or two. They came right up to me. Way better than being assaulted by pigeons.
This is the table at which I was sitting; that's my hat.

4 comments:

EcoGrrl said...

RAD! Yes I'm totally creeped out by the leaping rat, I mean, wallaby. It's like human and rat combined? Here's the American in me going, wow I didn't realize they were just 'in the wild'. Parrots? I had no idea they were in Oz. I am such an ignoramus. Love the e-thing that looks like a porcupine, that's awesome. This is the touristy stuff I was lookin' for, heehee.

How's the weather?

Corinne said...

I freaking love that you're being surrounded by wild parrots at the beach! Not only is that better than being mobbed by pigeons, it's also infinitely nicer than being surrounded by seagulls (creepy buggers). I love wallabys, too, even if they are giant rats. But the real question is, have you eaten one yet?

Sarah said...

I knew wallabies and kangas would be out and about ('in the wild') but I was surprised by the birds. When I was riding the train from Sydney down south, I saw a whole flock of cockatoos. I wanted to stand up and yell about them and point them out but I realized I woulda looked crazy. They're wild here! The parrots tickled me pink.

jaymo said...

The parrots are just gorgeous! Great job!