Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gold Coasting on Thanksgiving

After the Hunter Valley, I headed towards Coffs Harbor. The ladies at Wyndham Estates recommended a little town called Bellingen, as it's artsy. So that's where I spent the night- in a funky little hostel with lots of friendly people. There was "jazz on the veranda" at the local pub, and it's the type of town where every other shop is an art or craft place. I could have stayed here a couple of days but the rain was making me antsy. So off I went toward Byron Bay- a place that, I believe, every single person I've ever spoken to about this trip has recommended.

First, my gps took me on a "creative" (i.e. unnecessary) side trip off the Pacific Highway. I didn't mind it so much because it was really quite beautiful. The only hairy bit was this fallen tree- and in order to get around it, I had to take some back roads. They were red dirt. And owing to the days of rain, they were mud. And all I'm thinking is about flash floods and massive mud flows and I'm in a Corolla. Luckily, nothing bad happened. The gps has been reprimanded.
But later in the day, the route was taking me more along the coast. I was glimpsing some scenery and had to stop for pictures, even if I couldn't necessarily enjoy the Gold Coast beaches as planned. This beach is just south of Byron Bay. It's called 7 mile Beach, I believe.
I did pop into Byron Bay. Another funky little town- and because of the rain the tourist situation was not out of hand. I had a light bite and a cider then I walked along the beach and picked up a few pretty shells.

My bed down plan was to stay in another RV park but because it's a very touristy area, the prices were chapping my ass. (40 bucks to park my car and use no electricity?!) So I drove to Coolangatta and checked out a hostel. Unimpressed. My car was parked on a quiet street and I figured what the heck. So I made up the backseat, popped open my bottle of port and ate some Tasty Cheese (a type they have here). A strange Thanksgiving dinner to be sure.

Today, Brisbane and on to Noosa Heads- where I am staying in a real bed, no matter what.

1 comment:

EcoGrrl said...

Ha- looks like the oregon coast!