Friday, November 25, 2011

One of the coolest houses I've ever experienced.

(Again, a catch-up post from my time in Tilba Tilba, NSW.)

On my last night at my second WWOOFing gig, me and the guys were invited to dinner at a friend's house. Aggie is an expat Welshman who has mostly called Australia home since the 70s I do believe. His home and property are the epitome of reduce/reuse/recycle. He's mostly self sufficient, providing almost all his own food, he's got elaborate solar energy systems, he's working on an electric car, he does all his own construction (with help when available) and is handy at carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, gardening, etc. I'm telling you, this property is the height of ingenuity. And dinner was damn good too. We had an Indian dish along with mulberries and ice cream for dessert.
The front of the house. The house is assembled from two caravans (campers) as well as other construction. 
The main living area. A caravan is to the left and immediately in front. The floor is made of eucalypt trees and concrete. As I quizzed Aggie about how he made it, he laughed and said he does not recommend it. He's done it 3 times. The wood shrinks. The concrete cracks.  
Aggie's sister, Salima. (I hope I got her name right.) She's also an expat living in Oz- just down the road.
Just part of Aggie's gardens. 
He's even got a bunker. And yes, he's mixed all the concrete and poured it himself, along with friends. He's ready for any bushfire, or worse.
Aggie inside the bunker talking concrete with my fellow WWOOFer JC- who's got some concrete experience in France.

1 comment:

EcoGrrl said...

Love this!!! Esp the garden pic (shocking, i know)...